• Embassy Services
  • gb fr

Many types of rental accommodations are available across Canada. Some rental terminology differs between Québec and the rest of Canada. Here is a look at some rental terms.

Apartments may be rented in large high-rise buildings, owned by a corporation and managed through a rental office, or in smaller multi-family properties, such as duplexes or triplexes, owned by a family or an individual.

Condominiums are usually owned individually. They can be rented out either by the unit owner or a management company representing the unit holder. Condominiums are frequently more luxurious, better maintained and customized with upgrades. They also typically include additional amenities, such as gyms, pools and recreation areas. Access to these is included in the condo fees.

Townhouses are three or more attached houses in a row. They may have garages and may be semi-detached. Townhouses may also be stacked with units on top of each other.

Homes are single, individual units. While a single-family detached home offers more privacy, it will be also more expensive than other types of accommodations.

In English Canada, rental units are advertised by the number of bedrooms. A single room that includes a kitchen with a separate bathroom is called a studio. A bachelor has a separate kitchen and bathroom, as well as a living room that doubles as a bedroom. A one-bedroom has a kitchen, living room, bathroom and a bedroom. A two-bedroom has two bedrooms. Most apartments usually have one to three bedrooms.

In Québec, rental units are advertised by the number of rooms, rather than the number of bedrooms. Bathrooms are counted as half a room. An apartment with a kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom would be listed as a . A two-bedroom would be a .

Most rentals are unfurnished, although furnished units are offered on occasion. An unfurnished” unit usually includes some appliances, such as a fridge, stove, dishwasher, washer and dryer. Units in apartment buildings often include utilities, such as heating and electricity, while single unit houses and townhouses will have these costs billed to the tenant.