• Embassy Services
  • gb fr

Credentials, Transfer Credits and Marking System

There are several resources for parents who are concerned about the transfer of their children’s educational credentials. For information regarding placements in international schools or enrollment in a chosen school, contact the Canadian Information Center for International Credentials at www.cicic.ca or Citizenship and Immigration Canada at www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/credentials.


urrently, 143 schools offer the International Baccalaureate program in Canada. This program was designed to set high educational standards for internationally mobile students, and to prepare them to attend university in any country. More information can be found at www.ibo.org

In Canada, secondary school education is based on the credit system. Students receive credit for work done during their schooling. Each school has its own credit requirements for different subjects and different levels, and students should confirm those with the school. Some schools allow students to transfer credits from one school to another. Most schools require official transcripts and some may charge a transfer credit assessment fee.

Marking systems vary greatly between the provinces. It is important to contact the school or school board to help accurately interpret local systems. Most schools measure and report learning skills and behaviour, absences, class averages and academic achievement. Attending parent-teacher interviews is important to get a complete picture of how your child is doing. The school boards can give you an idea of the provincial marking standards, as well as any mandatory provincial tests. Teachers and schools can provide parents with support and ideas to help a child with specific areas, like mathematics or literacy. Many schools offer English as a second language (ESL) support.