• Embassy Services
  • gb fr

Completing the School Year and Extended Stay

(Source: Protocol Office, Global Affairs Canada,, www.international.gc.ca)

Accredited family members of foreign representatives may apply to extend their stay in Canada, beyond the expiry of a diplomatic mission, to pursue or complete their studies. The family member must apply for a letter of “no objection” before their diplomatic or official status expires, and must be submitted to Global Affairs Canada’s Office of Protocol by the diplomatic mission.

In addition, an application for a study permit must be submitted to CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) by the individual. The Protocol Office advises the individual to contact them at least four months before the departure of the primary carrier of diplomatic status.