• Embassy Services
  • gb fr


Service Alberta Building

Main Floor, 710 – 4 Avenue S.W.
Calgary, Alberta T2P 0K3
Telephone: 403-297- 6511
Fax: 403-297- 8641

John E. Brownlee Building

Third Floor, 10365 – 97 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3W7
Telephone: 780-427- 2742
Fax: 780-422- 4290

Getting a driver’s licence in Alberta


t is the law in Alberta that a person must surrender all foreign driver’s licences when they obtain any class of operator’s licence in the province. There is a special exemption for foreign representatives, which allows the government office to release the licence back to the foreign mission for safe keeping. This is returned to the foreign representative after the completion of their term, just before they return to their previous country. However, if the licence being exchanged is not from the same country where the foreign representative serves as a diplomat, the government office cannot return the licence to the foreign mission.

A person exchanging a non-Canadian driver’s licence must produce acceptable identification, proof of Canadian legal presence and Alberta residency. All documents submitted must be genuine originals and all drivers’ licences and other documents that are not in English must be accompanied by an official translation. Licences for the Consul General or Vice Consul are issued at no charge.

Drivers licences are issued by the Government of Alberta directly and are available by appointment only. Appointments can be made at the following District Motor Vehicle offices: